Thursday, August 10, 2006

How to Stay Awake in Meetings

As reported by my friend, Alice. Thought I'd pass this along, useful tool....

How to Stay Awake in Meetings:

1. Before (or during) your next meeting, seminar, or conference call, prepare yourself by drawing a square. (I find that 5" x 5" works well)
2. Divide the square into columns -- 5 across, 5 down. (This gives you 25 1" blocks)
3. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block:
Strategic Fit, Core Competencies, Best Practice, Bottom Line, Revisit, Expeditious, To Tell You the Truth (or Truth Is), 24/7, Out of the Loop, Benchmark, Value-added, Pro-active, Win/Win, Think OUtside the Box, Fast Track, Result-driven, Empower(ment), Knowledge Base, At the End of the Day, Touch Base, Mind-set, Client-focus(ed), Paradigm, Game Plan, Leverage ... and my personal fave: Synergy
4. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those words/phrases.
5. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically or diagonally, yell, "BULLSHYTE!" You've just played "Bullshyte Bingo."

Here are some testimonials from other players:

"I had been in the meeting for only 5 minutes when I won!"
"My attention span at meeting has improved dramatically." Adam, in Atlanta
"What a gas! Meetings will never be the same for me!" David, in Florida
"The atmosphere was tense in the last process meeting as 14 of us waited pensively for the last block!" Dan in New York
"The speaker was stunned as 8 of us screamed BULLSHYTE for the third time in 2 hours" Ben, in Colorado
"When I won and yelled, "BULLSHYTE!" the woman sleeping next to me slid off her chair!" Paul, in Ohi

No comments: